It is no secret that I love Christmas. So now Halloween is over and bonfire night is out the way, we can now focus on the big event! Last night I started by using my new festive cookie cutters and making Christmas themed gingerbread…
So here is the recipe: (makes approx 20 biscuits)
- 90g soft dark brown sugar
- 45g clear honey
- 30g butter
- 180g (12oz) plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 egg, lightly beaten
- Baking parchment
- Put the honey, sugar and butter in a pan, and melt over a low heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove the pan to allow to cool slightly.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and ginger into a bowl. Pour in the melted mixture and the egg. Mix well.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface.
- Set the oven to 180ºC/350ºF. Roll out the gingerbread on a surface lightly dusted with flour.
- Cut out your shapes (preferably xmas themed) and transfer to the lined baking sheets.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until they start to brown. Remove from the oven and allow the pieces to cool on baking sheets.