I’m a huge fan of simple cooking and easy recipes. I also love bread but haven’t had much success in making my own until I discovered this super simple recipe.
If I’m honest, this could be better described as a giant savoury muffin or scone, but it serves every purpose a fresh loaf would. My favourite way to enjoy this would be heating up a chunk in the microwave for 10 seconds and smothering it in butter – ultimate comfort snack!
- 250g self raising flour
- 25g butter
- 180ml milk
- 100g grated cheese
- 1/2 top salt
- Put the flour in a large mixing bowl and added cubes of the chilled butter.
- Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the cheese to the bowl and mix together.
- Add the milk and stir it until combined.
- Tip the dough onto a floured bench and former into a ball.
- Place the ball of dough onto a lined baking tray. Flatten slightly and score the top into quarters.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle some more cheese on top. I like to add some blue cheese!
- Cook for 30 mins at 190°c.
My ‘carbs & cuddles’ sweatshirt from Coconut Lane is the perfect accompaniment to enjoy this bread 😍
Want to try something else?
Chive bread: add 2 tbsp of chopped chives to the mix for this tasty variation.
Blue cheese: top the bread with some chunks of blue cheese before you put it in the oven.